What eTextBook format do you provide?
Two different types of electronic textbooks are sold in the VitalSource Bookstore: Reflowable Text VitalBooks (ePubs) and Page-Fidelity VitalBooks (PDF).
Reflowable eTextbook (ePub)
Reflowable textbooks (ePub) do not maintain the layout of a traditional bound book. The text is responsive, so the font size can be easily adjusted no matter the size of the screen. These books conform to ePub 3 industry standards.
- Reflowable text: Adjusts the quantity of text to fit the size of the screen
- Videos: Can play videos if in the book (Videos can be baked in or have links). Note: Similar to PDF versions; the icon may also be a reference to the video.
- Links / Quizzes: These may include links to external websites, and may also include interactive quizzes, videos, etc.
- Page Layout: In the Windows/Mac offline apps and online, you will scroll the entire section (or sub-section, depending on the Table of Contents setup) on one page. (We do not support a two-page spread in ePub at this time due to the reflowable nature of ePubs.) In iOS and Android offline apps, you can change the page view to one of the following: scroll the entire section (default), and Continuous Scroll.
- Page Numbers: ePub guidelines are industry standard and do not require page numbers. If page numbers are missing Bookshelf will not print.
- Print Limits: You can only print within sections in the Table of Contents (i.e., over the blue bar, or sometimes even sub-sections) even if within the print restriction limit.
- Zoom: Can increase font size.
- Font / Background Colors: These cannot be changed.
- Printing Errors:
- No Print Icon: This means there are no page numbers in the book. Use the offline Bookshelf app (Windows/Mac). See "Page Numbers" above.
- Invalid Page Number: If an error appears that the page number is invalid when trying to print, use the offline Bookshelf app (Windows/Mac) to print.
Fixed Page eTextbook (PDF)
The Page-Fidelity (PDF) textbook maintains the look and feels of a bound book—the text is fixed, and the screen size determines the size of the text.
- Non-Reflowable Text: Formatted exactly like the print book and will not change based on your screen size. Behaves similar to a PDF, it is DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected.
- Videos: Video icons are just indications of where you should go to cd/website (Cannot click)
- Links / Quizzes: These may include links to external websites, but will not include interactive quizzes, videos, etc.
- Page Layout: In the offline app (Windows/Mac) you can change the page view to one of the following: Continuous Scroll View, Single Page (default), or Facing Pages
- Zoom: Can zoom in, but not increase font size.
- Print Limits: Can print any range of pages that coincide with the print restrictions from the publisher.
- Font / Background Colors: These cannot be changed because the book mimics the print version.
If you are unsure about the eTextBook format and would like assistance before purchase, please contact Customer Service, and we can assist.