Mac: Text to Speech
VitalSource Bookshelf application has the ability to use the Text to Speech feature built into the Mac OS to have your books read aloud to you.
How your Book will be Read
- If you have not opened your book before and you Start Reading, the narrator will start at the beginning of the book
- If you select a chapter or section in the left side TOC, the narrator will start reading at that chapter/section
- If you select sentences with your mouse cursor, the narrator will only read the selected text.
How to use Speech
The easiest way is to use the toolbar at the top of the application. You will see two buttons: Start Reading and Stop Reading. Simply select how you wish the book to be read to you (see above) and click Start Reading You can now pause and resume speech as well with the same buttons. *Note: Resuming will only be for the current session. If you Stop Reading at any point it will not pick up where you left off.
If you prefer to use keyboard shortcuts please see below:
- Start Reading: ⌥ ⌘S
- Pause Reading (once started): ⌥ ⌘S
- Resume Reading (once paused): ⌥ ⌘S
- Stop Reading: ⌥ ⇧ ⌘S
- Go to the Book Menu
- Select Start Reading
- To pause by selecting Book > Pause Reading
- To continue select Book > Resume Reading
- To stop the current session select Book > Stop Reading
*NOTE: Text to Speech functionality may not work for all VitalSource titles. Please contact support if you have any issues with your ebook
How to change the Voice Type or Speed
To change the voice of the reader in Mac, please go to System Preferences > Dictation & Speech > Text to Speech.
You can change the system voice as well as the speaking rate. You can also test the voice to make sure you like it by pressing “Play” in System Preferences
Once you’ve made your selection, close out of the Preference window and your changes will be saved.