About Sideloading EPUBs with Bookshelf
VitalSource Bookshelf allows users to read locally stored, DRM-free EPUB files with ease. To get started, download and install the latest version of Bookshelf from our Download Page and then follow the steps listed below based on the platform you are using.
Please note, Notes and Highlights will not work with Sideloaded EPUBs and VitalSource Syncing services. We also cannot guarantee the performance or readability of Sideloaded EPUBs.
- Sideloading EPUBs on Bookshelf for macOS and Windows
- Sideloading EPUBs on Bookshelf for Android
- Sideloading EPUBs on Bookshelf for iOS
- Downloaded and install the latest version of Bookshelf from the Bookshelf Download Page
- Launch Bookshelf. Create or Sign In to your Bookshelf Account
- Place the EPUB in a secure folder on your computer
- Go to the File menu and choose New Folder
- A new folder will appear in the collection pane, name the new folder (e.g. EPUBS), and press Return
- Double click on the EPUB to open it in Bookshelf
- In the Main Bookshelf window click on Recently Viewed, you will see your EPUB listed. Drag the EPUB from the folder you placed it in, into the new folder that you created in Bookshelf
- Your EPUB will now be available in Bookshelf
- To remove the EPUB from Bookshelf click on the EPUB and press the Delete key. When prompted, click OK to delete the book
Bookshelf 4.0 currently does not support the ability to sideload DRM free EPUBs. This feature is in development and we ship in a future version of Bookshelf sometime in Q1 2018. If you need to sideload an EPUB, please contact VitalSource Support