- Bookshelf by VitalSource version 9.3 - Page Navigation Improvements for Desktop Apps
- Bookshelf by VitalSource version 9.3 - Page Navigation Improvements for Mobile Apps
- Bookshelf 9.2 - Highlighting is Even Easier on Bookshelf Mobile Apps
- Bookshelf 9.2 - Improved Library Search Interface on Bookshelf by VitalSource Windows & Mac Desktop Apps
- What's New: Bookshelf for Chromebook
- Bookshelf for Mac and Windows: Library Updates
- What's New: Bookshelf Online
- Bookshelf Online: What's New?
- What's New: Bookshelf for Mac
- What's New: Bookshelf for Windows 10
- View All Articles
|Need Help installing Bookshelf?|
8.1 Release Notes
Continue Reading: Bookshelf 8.1 makes it easier to continue reading from the last book read.
Improved book cards: See at a glance detailed book information.
Improved library navigation: Swimlanes, improved collections, and improved search make finding the right title faster and easier.
Improved library and content search and filtering: Bookshelf 8.1 simplifies Bookshelf's filtering and search tools.
For ease of use, we have the most recent title now more prominently displayed. Previously, this would have been the first book in your bookshelf, but it wasn’t explicitly called out. We added this feature to help our users easily jump back into their reading without any distractions. We provide more information below on the info and search icons next to the book.
Improved Book Cards
We have been adding more and more information to the book card over the years, and as a result, we ran out of space on the card.
Now, we have a new book hover that allows you to find out more information about your title quickly.
- Tap the “i” icon to find out book details including ISBN, citation information, and badges for notes, highlights, and flashcards.
- Click the search icon to do a content search within the title.
- Note: Access to eResources is available in Bookshelf Online only.
Swimlanes of Content
Placing all books into a carousel helps declutter the library allowing for the most recent books to be prominently featured while putting those older unused titles easily out of sight, but always available.
To see some of your older titles, swipe to scroll through your top 5 books. To view, all of your books, tap View All Titles. Can’t find it? Bookshelf's search will help you locate titles quickly and easily.
Sorting and filtering simplified
Previously, your library had numerous filters in various places causing clutter and confusion. We condensed these for ease of use.
Search & Filter bar
Drill into your content results by the book or use the swimlane at the top of the panel to browse results by title. From the panel, the functionality has not changed. You can click on the corresponding sentence and navigate to that location in the book.
We removed the filter bar and combined it with the library search. There is no reason to have two search bars when one can do the trick. The new search bar has a type-ahead feature to improve the ease of finding the correct title or author. For content search click ‘View All Results’, or hit ‘Enter’ on your keyboard, and you will have results with both title and content results for ease of use.
Explore any content result card and see content results in a panel. From the panel, the functionality has not changed. You can click on the corresponding sentence and go to the location in the book.
Filter settings and Collections
For those with a lot of books in their account, having to use two different menus to filter items was challenging. We updated and moved these features into your My Books screen. Click on My Books at the top of your swimlane to view your collections.
You will now have filters at the top of your screen that you can click on, as well as a grid view of all your books. Should you prefer to scroll through in a list view over the new swimlane design, you can easily do that here. Collections are now prominently featured in a swimlane across the top.