Windows Bookshelf Application Installation or Upgrade Errors
This article reviews errors that may occur when installing or upgrading to the most current Bookshelf Application. There are some basic troubleshooting steps to follow.
*Please note: For black or gray screen errors navigate to the article that reviews Gray/Black Screen Issues with Bookshelf 7.6.X and Windows 7&8 Computers*
An error message may include:
- External Component has thrown an Exception
- ScriptShape Failed with err = -2147467259
- Bookshelf 6.x has stopped responding
- The object is not set to an instance of an object
- A network resource is not available.
- Dashview: SetView failed bad allocation
Step 1 Before you do anything else, restart the computer
Step 2 If a restart does not resolve the issue, please do the following:
- Windows 7 & 8\8.1: Go to Start > Control Panel > Uninstall or change a program > and remove all instances of VitalSource Bookshelf.
- Windows 10: Go to Start > Settings [Gear icon] > Apps > and remove all instances of VitalSource Bookshelf.
- If on Bookshelf 7.6.6 > Go to the Documents folder and find the My Books folder. Rename that to My Books Old.
- Restart the computer (PLEASE DO THIS BEFORE REINSTALLING)
- Temporarily disable anti-virus and firewall
- Now install the most recent version of the Bookshelf App from the VitalSource Support Downloads page.
- Launch Bookshelf and log in. Try opening the book.
If you have any further questions, please contact our 24/7 support team: