Types of Hints
When authoring, it is important to consider the three types of hints that you can use.
1. Identify strategy used to answer the question.
2. Show strategy applied to the problem(s).
3. Provide a more detailed application of the strategy or the next step.
Some samples follow.
Tips for Writing Hints
1. Hints should help to scaffold students towards the answer.
2. If students did not know how to answer the question, what would you tell them to help them?
3. DO NOT direct students back to exposition.
4. DO NOT give away the answer. The exception is with text or numeric input.
5. Be specific. Limit pronoun use.