- International Purchasing for Displaced Students
- How Can I Purchase a Physical Copy of a Textbook?
- What eBook format do you provide?
- Getting Started with the VitalSource Store
- Searching in the VitalSource Store
- Requesting Receipts
- Supplemental or Auxiliary Materials
- Returns and Refunds
- VitalSource Return Policy
- Error When Entering Credit Card Information
International Purchasing for Displaced Students
To support international students who are unable to return to campus at US and Canadian institutions, we are making it possible for students to purchase course materials if they are attending an institution inside the US or Canada.
The changes to the checkout process are minimal. When entering their billing address, the user now has the ability to select from an extensive country list (not simply US or Canada). If the billing address country does not match the current store the user will be prompted to select the institution that they are attending. The rest of the checkout process remains the same.
1. The same flow is enabled/enforced for each of our payment methods (Credit Card, PayPal, and Apple Pay).
2. The “Address verification” check remains in place – meaning the address the user enters should match the address associated with the payment method.
3. White label stores in the US and Canada will also have this feature available.
4. We will be collecting tax based on the address associated with the institution the student selects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is VitalSource defining an international purchase?
A: Payment linked to an address or bank account outside the US or Canada
Q: Which course materials are available for purchase with an international form of payment?
A: Any item sold in the US or Canadian VitalSource store is available for purchase with the exception of Cengage titles.
Q: How can customers purchasing with an international payment access content from Bookshelf?
A: Once purchased, there is no change to content access. For questions reference our support site.
Q: Which international credit cards and other payment methods are accepted?
A: Both the US and Canadian VitalSource stores accept Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and Apple Pay. The US store also accepts Discover and American Express.
Q: How are international sale taxes handled?
A: Currently, taxes will be collected based on the address associated with the institution selected when purchasing. Coming soon, students will use their institution-provided email address when completing purchases.
Q: In what currency will the transaction be billed?
A: USD, if purchasing via the US store and CAD if purchasing through the Canadian Store.
Q: Can the purchaser choose their country’s currency vs. USD?
A: No, unfortunately charges must be billed in either USD for US-based purchases or CAD for Canadian purchases.
Q: What is the currency conversion rate?
A: Check with your credit card company or bank to determine current exchange rates with either USD or CAD, depending on the location of your institution.