- Markup Comes to iPads on Bookshelf® by VitalSource
- Improved Library Search Interface on Bookshelf® by VitalSource
- Bookshelf for iOS: Library Updates
- Using Bookshelf's Read Aloud Feature
- Bookshelf Mobile: Viewing your books by Collections
- Creating and Signing In to your Bookshelf Account
- What is Bookshelf?
- Library Window Overview
- Main Menu Overview
- Reading Window Overview
- View All Articles
Markup Comes to iPads on Bookshelf® by VitalSource.
The way that students read digital textbooks is constantly evolving. At Bookshelf, we strive to provide the tools you need for an optimal reading experience. We are excited to announce that, based on user feedback, we have added Markup on Bookshelf version 9.4 as an iPad beta feature.
Navigating to the Markup Panel
Use Markup to draw and highlight on PDF books using your Apple Pencil or finger. To open the Markup panel, tap the Markup icon on the top navigation bar.
Markup will be enabled, and various tool icons will be displayed.
Using the Marker, Highlight, and Erase Tools
Tap the Marker icon to begin drawing or writing on your PDF book using the default marker settings. While Markup is on, the top and bottom reader toolbars will be hidden until you close the Markup panel by tapping “X.” Page swipe and zoom gestures will also be disabled until the panel is closed.
To change the marker settings, tap the Marker icon to expose the color and thickness options.
To highlight text, tap the Highlight icon and drag your Apple Pencil across the text. To change the settings, tap the icon to expose highlight color and thickness options.
If you need to erase a drawing or highlight it, tap the Eraser icon. By default, the eraser will erase only the areas you drag your finger over. If you wish to erase the entire mark at one time, tap the Eraser icon and select “Erase entire stroke.”
Saving Your Work
The Markup beta feature will initially be available only on iPad devices, but marks will sync and be viewable on other iOS devices. Marks will not sync to Bookshelf Online, Windows, or Mac platforms. Any marks made on your PDF books will save automatically to your book page; they will not be visible in your notebook.
As a beta feature, Markup is still in the experimental stage. Based on your feedback, we will continue to evolve the available tools and improve performance. Be sure to let us know aspects of Markup that you enjoy and the functionality you would like added or improved!
As you use Markup, keep these key points in mind:
- Markup beta is available only in PDF-style books.
- While in the Markup panel, some reader features, such as the top and bottom reader toolbars and page swipe and zoom gestures, will not be available.
- Marks are saved automatically and will sync across your iOS devices.
- Provide feedback as you use the tool to continue to improve.
Markup is only available on PDF-style books using Bookshelf version 9.4 running iOS version 13+.