VitalSource is committed to providing the most secure Bookshelf eTextbook delivery platform possible. Please find below a comprehensive list of Password Best Practices.
Password Creation Requirements
- Passwords must be eight or more characters in length;
- Passwords must have at least one capital and one lowercase letter;
- Passwords must have at least one special character (i.e. !@#$()%^&*).
Password Creation Tips
- Create an alphanumeric password with special characters that is eight characters or greater.
- Rotate your passwords regularly. We recommend changing passwords at least every semester.
- Develop a difficult-to-guess but easy-to-remember password that incorporates memory devices.
- Use a Password Generator to help create passwords for you.
Password Best Practices
- Do not use all or part of your name in your password.
- Do not use a password of all numbers or a single, repeated letter.
- Do not use a word contained in any dictionary.
- Do not reuse or recycle passwords.
- Never use the same password for more than one account.
- Never share a computer account.
- Never tell a password to anyone, including people who claim to be from customer service or security.
- Never write down a password.
- Never communicate a password by telephone, e-mail or instant messaging.
- Make sure to log off before leaving a computer unattended.
- Make sure you change your passwords whenever there is suspicion of passwords being compromised.
- Operating system password and application passwords should be different.