401 Error - Missing user_id field/Unauthenticated User
Error Code Cause
Users will see this error when they click on a link in their LMS. The user is missing a mapped user_id value, the LMS does not see them as being enrolled in the course, the course is incorrectly set to "Public" the user click the link to view the eTextbook without being logged in to the LMS, or the Deployment ID is incorrectly configured in Canvas 1.3.
Student / Faculty
- Please reach out to your instructor and inform them of the error so they may reach out to the team that configured the link inside your institution's LMS.
- Use the link in the For More Help section below to submit a support request to VitalSource for assistance. Would you please provide your School Name, LMS, Course, Section, Name of the Book you attempted to access, and a screenshot of the error?
- Ensure the User ID is set to populate
- Ensure the course links are not available to users who have not signed into the LMS
- If your link looks correct or works for some students but not others, please follow the steps in the For more help section below to contact Support for assistance.
For more help
To report this issue to VitalSource, please do the following:
- Submit a request using the VitalSource Error Support Form.
- In the error code drop down, enter the title of this Article.
- Fill out all of the fields and include a copy of the error message you received. Please provide a screenshot of the error, the time stamp on the error code will help us troubleshoot the issue.
VitalSource Support will follow up with you after we resolve the issue or additional steps to troubleshoot.
Please note that reaching out to VitalSource Support outside of the webform may cause delays in resolving the error code.